The Duke and Duchess of Sussex surprised and delighted royal fans with their classic Christmas card this year — rather than a colorless snap, a drawing or back facing image — the couple gave the world a charming glance into their cozy family life with their Happy Holidays from sunny Santa Barbara. Outfitted in decidedly casual clothing with not a fascinator in sight — Meghan and Harry showed off their finest California threads. (Harry was even clad in royally rogue ripped jeans–not likely to be found in the closet of Prince Charles.)
Lilibet Diana was the highlight of the joyous card — the 6-month-old, who is eleventh in line to the British throne, was all smiles as her mother lifted her in the air. Little Lili was clad in a simple white dress for the seasonal card.
Taking style cues from his mother — Archie Harrison was dressed in a button down oxford shirt and cuffed toddler jeans.
Duchess Meghan took a hiatus from her glamorous wardrobe staples for the down-to-earth family photo and opted for a dark navy pullover with a ribbed cuff detail. Meghan’s sweater is believed to be a cashmere style possibly from Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen fashion brand The Row. In addition to her pullover, Meghan wore medium wash jeans with her Chanel black and beige cap-toe ballet flats.
The former Suits star has been spotted before in the casual flats for errands in Beverly Hills while wearing a Toscana linen dress. Meghan also owns the iconic slip on shoes in all black leather and dons them frequently for travel and even yoga class.
Twitter user @Solidmoonlight believes the couple took the photograph in the tea house at their property in Montecito. The teahouse sits near the Sussex estate gardens of tiered roses, tall Italian cypress trees, blooming lavender and century old olive trees.
This is not the first time the Sussexes have used their backyard as the setting for their holiday greetings — in 2020 they opted to be photographed as a then family of three in their property’s children’s cottage or “Archie’s playhouse.”
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE SUSSEXES 2021 CHRISTMAS CARD
- Prince Harry goes barefoot and shuns stuffy loafers and men’s dress shoes
- Lilibet Diana is seen for the first time in a published photo
- The couples dogs–Labrador Pula and Beagle Guy were not included in this year’s photo
- Flashy fashion was shunned in favor of relaxed and print-free clothing
- Meghan’s son Archie is dressed in the same ensemble beloved by his mom — a casual button down with jeans
- Archie appears to possibly have dark red or curly brown hair
- Meghan’s pose of holding Lili in the air is strikingly similar to an iconic photograph of Princess Diana lifting a giggling Prince William up during a family photo session in 1983 at Kensington Palace
- Meghan and Harry are dressed for cooler weather despite their sunny climate (it seems Meghan still loves her Toronto weather fashion!)