Despite a penchant for playing sports and being active, the Duchess of Cambridge is rarely seen in her casual stay-at-home garb or workout clothes. In fact, Catherine has only been photographed a handful of times in the last few years in lounge-like ensembles. So much for Starbucks runs in sweatpants.
What does this mom of three wear to pitter around the house? Judging by her love of cargo jackets, striped t-shirts and skinny jeans–she prefers simple, loose fitting separates with ballet flats or tennis shoes. For appearances, she may don a printed camisole, blazer, black skinny jeans and a pair of wedges. Or if she’s on a more adventurous or athletic outing like visiting a farm or meeting a scouting troop, she’s more inclined to opt for sneakers, Chilvers riding boots or Wellies. Plus, she loves a good cargo jacket, puffer coat and V-neck sweater.
Since having children, the Duchess of Cambridge favors slip on loafers, dark black or navy jeans and simple ivory sweaters. Gone are the days when she would go to the supermarket with regular faded blue wash denim, clunky cowboy belts and Uggs.
The only consistent style must: a pair of sunglasses which are perfect for outdoor polo matches or hiding sleepless night mommy undereye bags.
Kate’s closet is an interesting mix of J. Crew with Sentaler, Alexander McQueen and Zara, H&M and Erdem. She loves mixing high and low brands and regularly recycles favorites boots, dresses and pumps.
Video Via Marie Claire
To follow the lead of the Duchess and dress with a causal spirit with an uptown twist, try the following rules:
- Add a blazer: A crisp white or navy blazer can take a basic striped shirt or printed camisole and make it feel more expensive.
- Go for dark denim: Dark black and deep blue denim looks more elegant and sophisticated than traditional blue jeans.
- Experiment with Shoe Styles: Riding boots with tassels or funky cowboy boots can bring a little charm and fun to a plain ensemble.
- Coat of Arms: Play around and enlist a few cargo jackets in heavy rotation. Try an olive green army jacket, clay cargo bomber and gray raincoat.
- Striped Long Sleeve: A modern boatneck in black and white stripes or blue and white can be easily thrown on to look chic in a hurry.
- Stick to Skinny Jeans and Sneakers: Skinny jeans are forever flattering and paired with simple lace-up sneakers always look polished.
Featured Image Credit: Chris Jackson/Getty